Sunday, September 27, 2015

Variety Show

I loved my school's variety show. It was held Friday and Saturday night and was a compilation of dances performed by students in all grades kindergarten to class 10. The show included traditional Bhutanese dancing and singing, contemporary Dzongkha songs, English songs, Hindi songs, and even southern Bhutanese (aka Nepali). 

My class did a contemporary Dzongkha song which we started practicing for about two weeks in advance. Our after school rehearsals were not always very productive but the kids had a lot of fun with it. My boys especially had a lot of passion but not a lot of rhythm.

Before the show I did some of the girls's makeup. I had a real "proud momma" moment seeing them in their fancy Kiras with their hair and makeup done.


Group pictures before the show:



It took all day but I managed to upload some short videos of some of the dances from the show. I think these show the great variety in the variety show.

To start with a video of my class 4B:


This is a Southern Bhutanese dance. Southern Bhutanese originate from Nepal and thus have a Nepali influenced culture:


Traditional Bhutanese dance: 



And of course everyones favorite, hip hop dances:



A lot of the students in my school have real motivation problems when it comes to academics but they love dancing. It was really special seeing everyone in our Multipurpose Hall happy, excited, and passionate about what they were doing. Now to find a way to transfer that to the classroom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment